The chakras are basically energy centers in the body – the word chakra in Sanskrit means “wheel” or “disk”. Keeping these chakras in balance and clear are believed to keep you at your peak, both health and emotionally. I know first hand how out of balance I can get, and how much closer to balanced I feel when I pay attention to and work on balancing my chakras.
This is a big one for me. The throat chakra is all about telling your truth, speaking or singing, vocalizing your truth, your love, your story.
It has to do with communication, it is the first of the “higher” chakras. An excessive throat chakra can result in mixed messages, lying, manipulation using your words. Deficient would result in small voice, inability to speak, fear of speaking up for yourself.
A clear and open throat chakra will result in the ability to speak up for yourself and others, clear communication, ability to listen to others.
I’ve included the chart below to get you started, or as quick reference, if you’d like to print it.
|Location||Between the collar bone and larynx (throat)|
|Essential Oils||Lavender, Chamomile, Rosemary/Thyme/Sage|
|Crystals/Stones||Blue Topaz, Blue Kayanite, Azurite, Turquoise, Aquamarine, any blue stone that you resonate with|
|Tarot Correspondence||Temperance, Hierophant, Magician, Wheel of Fortune|
You can balance your throat chakra in any number of ways.
- Color Meditation – Find something that’s a clear, blue. Some people prefer sky blue, some robin’s egg, some turquoise. Use whatever resonates within you. . It can be in your physical presence, or a digital image. Look here for some ideas. Get still and focus on your breath, inhale that beautiful blue color, filled with love, and exhale any negativity. Sit quietly for a while and continue doing this until you feel satisfied.
- Yoga poses specifically for balancing your throat chakra, here are some. Lion pose is my personal favorite and I do it before most vocal performances.
- Throat Chakra guided meditation – there is no shortage of free, guided meditations out there. Google it, or check out this one. Try singing HUM along with it, as it’s in the tone of G.
- Aromatherapy – Choose the essential oil you like best that corresponds from the chart above and either diffuse it, or put a few drops in your hand, rub your hands together and then put them up to your face and inhale deeply.
- Meditate, holding one or more of the crystals mentioned in the chart above. Imagine your throat chakra spinning, calmly, in a clear, vibrant, clear, blue.
- Chant the Mantra, “Hum” in the tone of G.
- Listen to the Spotify playlist below
- Throat Chakra Meditation – Give yourself 15 minutes, shut of all devices, close your eyes, bring your awareness to your breath and imagine a beautiful, blue orb, lit from within, breathe in and imagine that this orb gets bigger and brighter, cleaner and clearer with each breath. Feel the energy of the beautiful blue color, really feel it, let it wash over you. Imagine the cool sensation as your throat chakra gets bigger and clearer.
- Use affirmations.
- I tell my truth
- I communicate my feelings with ease
- I listen to understand
- I express myself creatively, through art, music, speech, writing, or whatever way feels right to me.
- Sing at the top of your lungs. Pick a joyful song and sing it loud, sing it proud (especially if you think you can’t sing)
These are just a few suggestions – explore your own path and find your favorite ways to balance your throat chakra.
I have found in doing this research that different practices have variations of all of these “suggestions”, do what feels right to you. Intuitively I felt that Saraswati had to be the deity for the throat chakra, but not all traditions agree. Do what works for you. I align very closely with Saraswati and this felt right for me.
Like this? Want more like it?