A long time ago, in a galaxy… well, right here. It was easy getting others to share your content. That however, really was a long time ago. Now there is so much information and it gets more saturated every day. Used to be, if you shared someone else’s content, they’d notice and reshare your share, or mention you directly, or even share something that you had shared. Now, it’s so much more complicated. 5-7-10 years ago, it was easy. I had celebrities sharing my posts pretty frequently. I’m not going to name drop (although it’s very tempting!), but now? You need to know someone, or have a hook…
So what do you do to get others to share your content?
The simple answer is to share useful content.
That hasn’t changed, but you used to be able to fake your way through. Now, there’s so much information out there, that your content really has to strike a nerve.
So, how do I strike a nerve?
Great question! There are a few ways.
- Be a thought leader in your niche. What do you know that your audience needs to know that hasn’t been talked about very much? Talk about it. Talk about it on your blog, on your social media platforms (always teasing with a link back to the relevant information on your blog). And don’t forget to talk about it in communities, forums, etc. (again, create a signature that leads back to your articles). Answer the questions, solve the problems that your demographic is having. Engaging, building relationships, is the key.
- Create controversy. Be careful with this one, it can easily backfire – but if there’s a certain school of thought in your niche, challenge it. But don’t just create drama; challenge it in a way that’s thought provoking, tell the other side of the story.
- Be Positive! – Don’t use negativity to get your point across! Come up with solutions, solve problems, create connections and community.
- Make it easy to share your content: Sharing plugins, simple requests, etc. really do help. A simple “Please Share” or “Please Retweet” can boost your shares up to 51%
- Use multimedia. Combine text, images, audio, video, etc. Shake it up – use a lot of different platforms and media to create interest in what you’re saying.
- Most of all, and I can’t stress this enough. Be Authentic. Be You. You’re the only one of you in this Universe. You are the only one who’s here to say what you have to say. You’re the unique combination of everything that you are. Use that. It’s what we want.